Sunday, April 4, 2010

la fleur

Sorry I've been a bit quiet here for a few days.  I've been working on a few other projects, like posting a poem a day on my new writing blog and a photo a day over at my photography blog.

I've also been out on the hunt for ever-emerging spring wildflowers.  One that I captured images of recently is a short-lived little beauty called Bloodroot.



This is a flower that blooms every spring on our road.  Every year I say to myself, "Ooh, I need to stop and check that out and get some pictures," but one day melts into the next and suddenly they have disappeared for the season.  Well, this year I finally got around to it!



I had a little trouble identifying it, actually.  I thought I had it ID'd as a flower called Twinleaf, but then I happened to stumble across it at our local garden center the other day, and lo and behold, my ID was corrected to Bloodroot.  The thing that clued me in was the leaf, which is very unique-looking.



Within probably another week or two these flowers will be just a memory. The fleeting lifespan of some flowers is probably the only thing that bums me out about spring.


6 comments:

Nellie from Beyond My Garden said...

Heather, your photos of the bloodroot are so much nicer than mine. I picked a bad time of day to visit my newly-found patch so needed to delete alot of photos. You've inspired me to try again this evening. It is interesting how many times our blogs hit on the same subject. We must occupy very similar ecosystems.
nellie

James said...

Lovely photos. I saw the title and thought of L O S T, though.

Erica Houskeeper said...

Hi Heather,

These are so nice. I'm so glad you were able to take photos of these flowers this year! The days definitely seem to fly by, and before we know it, the spring bloom is over. So great that you have captured it!

Take care.

Heather said...

Nellie - Aw, I'm sorry to hear you ended up deleting some of your Bloodroot photos! The evening light was definitely kind for these shots. I don't know where your Bloodroots stand right now, but ours seem to be done blooming now and are just working on putting out HUGE leaves. I can't remember what part of West Virginia you're from, but I'm sure our ecosystems are very similar.

James - Hee hee... I knew the LaFleur hook would get you!

Erica - I'm glad I captured these too! Like I said in my reply to Beyond the Garden, those flowers are already done blooming. So fleeting...

Gabrielle said...

Ah, la fleur est très belle!

Bloodroot is one of my favorites. Sadly we don't get them here, but I remember them from my stint at a wildflower preserve in the East.

(Hopefully this comment will successfully publish. I left one last week for you but the system went all wonky on me.)

Heather said...

Gabrielle - Oui, c'est très belle, très jolie. Glad I could share it with you. Sorry to hear you've had trouble commenting. When in doubt, you can always drop me an email!