Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Midwest Birding Symposium 2011 - photo highlights

Well, this year's Midwest Birding Symposium was a huge success. I had lots of fun, but still didn't get to spend enough time birding, nor did I spend enough time with my friends. But there's always 2013. That's right, the date has already been set for the NEXT Midwest Birding Symposium, which will take place once again in Lakeside, Ohio, on September 19-22, 2013. Mark your calendars now!

But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Sorry I didn't blog during the event. I did post some photos to Facebook and Flickr, but for those of you who don't follow either of those social media outlets, here are some of my best photos from the event.

Sunrise at Marblehead lighthouse. I birded at this location, but the main attraction, I must admit, was the chance to view something as beautiful as this.


The same morning I was at Marblehead I took this photo of a juvenile Bald Eagle. Sorry for the photo quality. One of the greatest things about the symposium this year was that I saw at least one Bald Eagle every day I was up there. Pretty cool.


On Thursday evening we took a sunset cruise on the Goodtime I. This is the view as we were preparing to leave the pier at Lakeside.


While on the sunset cruise, we looked for gulls, terns, and other water birds. Here, a smattering of Ring-billed Gulls follows behind the boat.


A Ring-billed Gull caught in the beautiful light of dusk.


Sunset on Lake Erie.


Great Egret flies over the water at Meadowbrook Marsh. This is a relatively new birding hotspot in the area. I'll tell you more about it in an upcoming post.

7 comments:

Weedpicker Cheryl said...

Lovely photos Heather. Love seeing my favorite places again!

Nina @Nature Remains said...

I always think of Lakeside as the place I first met you--2009.
Isn't it great that this event comes back every couple of years so we can be assured of time spent in such a neat place.
Enjoyed birding with you at Meadowbrook.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos! Wonderful to have met you there. I look forward to following your blog.

Heather said...

Cheryl - Thank you. Hope you had a good time!

Nina - It somehow seems like it's been longer than 2 years since we met at the 2009 MBS! Time flies, I guess. Meadowbrook was definitely awesome. Can't wait to go back there.

Rob - It was nice meeting you, too! And congrats on life bird #400!! We never did see that dance, though....

Kelly said...

...beautiful capture of the sunrise!

Judy said...

That first photo is simply jaw droppingly beautiful! Seriously! And the lighthouse at sunset is almost as good!! I love the ring billed gull washed by the setting sun, and the egret too...
Excuse me, while I admire that sunrise again...

- Yvonaut -
Das sind Raphael und Yvonne
said...

I like the first lighthouse picture. Amazing!
Greetings from Switzerland