Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Happy Autumn!

Sorry, I know it's a few days late, but better late than never, right? Also, my Mom's birthday is tomorrow, so Happy Birthday Mom!

One of the very special weather treats that we get this time of year out in the rural areas is fantastic morning fog! I love it. Here's a picture I took last year, almost exactly 1 year ago.



And here are some pictures I took on the way in to work this morning. I love how the fog diffuses the bright morning sunlight.





If the night has been chilly and without a breeze, the morning sunrise is bound to be shrouded in fog this time of year. It happens in October, and March and April, too, but not as often. I'm guessing the air is just plain drier in those months, and fog can't form when the air is dry. Some correlation between air temperature and the dew point... but I'll stop there, 'cause I can't offer any more in the way of scientific explanations on the formation of fog!

Instead, just some more photos...





Here's a lonely little Ironweed plant, sticking out like a sore thumb among a field of soybeans.



And here is some type of grass that's gone to seed, with a grasshopper, dew drops and spider webs to keep it company. This is the original (albeit cropped) picture that I took, and I think the coloring conveys the crisp, cool feeling of the morning.



But then I altered it a little, bumping up the saturation and warming up the colors just a bit, which gives it more of a "fall" feel.



The leaves are a'changin' around here, and we're going to start seeing more and more of these warm fall colors.

This weekend I'm off to The Wilds for a photography camp. I'm sure I'll have plenty of photos to share when I get back.

No comments: