Saturday, December 13, 2008

Holiday arts and crafts

A few posts back I talked about being in the process of making holiday cards. I think enough time has passed since I mailed them that I can show them here now. Hopefully I won't be ruining the surprise for any friends and family at this point.

This Cardinal stamp, which I showed you previously,was a central part of the design. I was really happy that I happened to find a stamp with a bird on it.




I always have a hard time getting started. For example, I knew I wanted the Cardinal stamp to be a focal point in the overall design, but I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to achieve that. Somehow, though, it all manages to come together and I end up with something I'm pleased with.

Here's a page of stamped images, waiting to be cut. This is the first time I have employed an assembly line-style technique. It turned out to be pretty efficient.





Getting all of the different colors into each image from the one stamp required careful coloring of the stamp with colored markers.



The cutting came next. I used some fancy patterned scissors to get the wavy effect.





The tools of the trade.



A legion of completed cards.



And finally, the finished product.






The little swirly do-dads over on the left of the cards came to my mind when I was about a quarter of the way through the process. I decided the trim pieces along the side looked too boring just being blank, thus I added the do-dads.


5 comments:

Shelley said...

These turned out wonderful! Your family & friends are going to love these thoughtful,homemade cards!

NW Nature Nut said...

Wonderful! Those turned out great!

Heather said...

Thanks to you both for the nice comments.

RuthieJ said...

Those cards are really cute Heather! I hope your recipients appreciate all your hard work.
I made up a greeting with some of my birds photos and now just have to go pick up some heavier paper to print them out on. I'd like to do that thing where you can print out postage stamps with your own picture on them too. Have you ever looked into that?

Heather said...

Hi Ruthie, thanks for the comment. I've never actually looked into the photo postage stamp thing - this is about the only time of year that I use stamps, so I don't know if it would really be worth it for me. I've been known to make coordinating return address labels on years when I print out cards, though.