Tuesday, December 9, 2008

photo entries



This entry is as much for myself as it is for you, my loyal visitors. I'm entering these pictures in a photo contest being held by Wired.com, and by posting them to my blog directly from Picasa (using the "Blog This" function), I can actually get a URL that will showcase the picture only, not a link to the picture in a Picasa Web Album. If any of you use Picasa and Picasa Web Albums, you may have an inkling as to what I'm talking about. If you click on either of these photos, you wil be taken to an image that is actual size, and which is being hosted somewhere in Blogger land. Normally I upload my photos to a Picasa Web Album and then embed them into the post, and when you click on those embedded photos, you get taken over to the relevant Web Album in Picasa online, where you can see not only that photo but all photos in said album. Have I lost you yet?

If you're still with me and are willing to share, how do you all upload the photos to your posts? I know (or at least I think) there are lots of different ways to do it, but this is the only method I've ever tried, and it works pretty well for me. Please feel free to let me know in the comments. Thanks!


UPDATE (12/10/08): I didn't have any luck posting my pictures to the Wired.com website. I tried, but when I went to the page to view the photos, all I can see is the description I provided, but not the photo itself. I notice this the case for other participants as well, and I don't know what the cause is. Maybe it's a browser thing, but I tried in both Firefox and Internet Explorer and got the same results. Strange. After trying several different fixes, I decided it wasn't worth any more time or effort, so my photos will have to remain here, to be found only by my readers.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

NW Nature Nut said...

I tried Picassa a few times, but as I recall you couldn't upload very many. Or perhaps I gave up on it without taking the time to figure it out. I always just upload from my photo files on my computer. I used to re-size them, but now I just upload as is since it is faster and less time consuming. Did I answer your question? I see a lot of people use Flicker, but I don't really see the advantage to that. Do you?

Shelley said...

I love that 1st photo of yours w/ the 2 birds squawking at each other! I just upload the photos from my computer too like Nature Nut after I've edited them. You can select small, medium or large after you've downloaded. Hope this helps!

Heather said...

Thanks to both of you for your input.

NWNN - Despite the thousands of photos on my hard drive and my desire to share them, I've never used Flicker, so I can't really say what the advantage might be to it. Well, actually, I guess it would be a good way to have back-ups of your images in a location that's not your computer. But I think there are higher-end services available for people who are serious about that kind of thing.

Regarding Picassa, it's been upgraded several times, and if you use their Web Albums feature, you can upload many pictures at one time (I think I've done as many as 20 pictures).

I tried just uploading my pictures from my computer for tonight's post, and I'm not crazy about it. For one thing, it puts every picture I upload at the very top of my post, despite where my cursor is when I hit the "Add Image" icon. I find it annoying to have to go into the HTML and move it to where I really want it. Does that happen to you too?

Also, when you upload directly from your machine it includes some crazy HTML code around it that I'm pretty sure is not essential, but I haven't taken enough time to verify that. I find this "extra" code annoying if I want to add my own code to the picture (like to make the image a clickable link to somewhere else online) and I can't quite figure out where to put it.