Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cool Kentucky (and Ohio) fungi

Another item of interest during our trip to the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky (aside from mating insects!) was mushrooms. I think fungi are pretty interesting, and we ran across more than the ones I'll show here, but unfortunately I didn't take pictures of all of them. My knowledge of species is nil, so I'm afraid I can't identify them for you, only show you photos.

I love the texture of this one. I also like it's stout, robust stature.

I assume this one used to have a normal cap, which had curled upward by the time we found it.

I called these "pencil eraser" mushrooms. The color and size was a perfect match to the namesake I assigned to them.

Now we are back here at home in southeast Ohio. I posted an image of this specimen a short while ago, and Monika suggested the ID of Shaggy Mane. I have no reason to argue with that. Thanks for your help, Monika!

Shaggy Manes in various stages of degradation.

Some very nice shelf-type mushrooms growing on the side of an oak tree. These photos were taken on October 28.

By November 8th, they were reduced to this.

There are more images yet to come from our trip to Kentucky. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Monika said...

I don't know what they are, but I really like your name of pencil eraser mushrooms!

Heather said...

Monika - Hey, I call 'em like I see 'em!

Nina - I KNOW!