Monday, March 8, 2010

Beginnings

The sun shone powerfully this weekend, and I spent some time outside basking in it. My, did it feel good. We still have remnants of ice and snow hanging on, clinging to the cold spots where the sun doesn't shine. And while the beauty is undeniable, it will not miss the snow and ice when it's gone.




This weekend marked my first tentative scratchings at the leaf litter and soil. I was looking for signs of new life, and I found what I was looking for. The Helleborus that I planted late last spring has survived the winter and is sending out new flower buds already. I gently pried away the leaves that have covered them over for so many months, and practically squealed with delight to find at least 3 distinctive flower buds.




I put the leaves back in their place. I'm sure the flowers would survive frost and/or a freeze, but they might as well stay protected until they are ready to push through on their own.


I also spied some ivy that I bought last year and left in a spot in the yard, not really knowing where it's final home would be. Well, it established roots where I left it lie and has some nice green growth. There were also plenty of things growing in harmony with the moss, like the basal rosette of this flower that I do not know. Ahhh, knowing that things are growing... it's a good feeling! And this is only the beginning.

7 comments:

Jain said...

The ice is beautiful but the tiny plantlings are thrilling!

Meg said...

I can not believe it is going to be in the sixties this week! Halleluiah--or however you spell that word! Hellebores are one of my favorite flowers in all the world. Yipee, they are coming up!
Loved your poem in the last post, too. It is so true!

carol mattingly said...

Spring is on the way Heather. Hang in. Carol

KaHolly said...

Can't stop it now!!!

Heather said...

Jain - I agree on all accounts.

Meg - I know, I'm soooo lovin' this warm weather. I will definitely plant more Hellebores this year. Was just checking some out at SpringHill online the other night...

Carol - I'm hanging - all the signs are showing, I'm about to declare it "here!"

Karen - You are right!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Heather as always your photograghs are amazing!

http://nessdp.blogspot.com/search/label/Awards

Heather said...

Eleanor - Thank you so much. Congrats on your Sunshine Award!