Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring meditation

The crocuses lift their faces skyward, bringing the first riot of color of the year to the yard. Morning still breaks with a chill, but the dawn chorus has already begun. The early bird gets the worm, and maybe a lady to carry on his line if he's lucky.


The days blaze warmer, and sunshine falls from the sky, bringing with it the promise of new life, energy, and fresh starts. Although the calendar has not marked it yet, spring has wrapped its arms around us. It came in tentatively, dropping hints here and there. Winter wanted to stay in our hearts, and held on for dear life, like fingers clinging to a crumbling cliff. But then, like a flash flood, the vernal time was upon us and the warmth and the rain and the sun and the song rushed in.


Evening beckons us to don jackets, and the smell of coolness hangs in the air. The frogs trill and the creeks flow, ceaseless sounds providing a perfect backdrop for meditation. It is a good time for slowing down. A good time to sit - to watch, to listen, to be.

10 comments:

KaHolly said...

Heather, your photos are so welcoming and springy!! Your text very inspirational and prose-like. My goodness, but you have the gift of expression that I yearn for. I feel it, but putting it into words so eloquently?? Just doesn't come easily to me. Happy Spring!! It a perfect day here in Cape Breton! ~karen

Monika said...

Beautiful mosaics, beautiful meditations. The right picture in the second set of photos is magical.

Meg said...

A halleluiah chorus, darlin! Love it!


(that was me in other post, sorry, forgot to put in url)

Kelly said...

...a beautiful celebration of spring. Our little flowers haven't made the progress yours have. Hopefully one of these days soon. I love the little sunbursts showing up in your photos. They are gorgeous!

Heather said...

Karen - Happy Spring to you, too. Thank you for your nice comments. It doesn't necessarily come easily to me either - some days the Muse is there, other days it is not. She just happened to be cooperating for this one.

Monika - Thank you so much. I'm quite fond of that photo myself!

Meg - Hee hee - thanks!

Kelly - Thank you! It's funny, my spring bulbs are usually drastically behind everyone else's, but this year they seem to be on time for a change. Happy spring to you!

Stacey Bruce said...

Heather, these photos are beautiful! I love the bokeh of the second crocus with the sunlight on it.. I'm a nature girl, too... inspired also by moss and dandelions. Have a beautiful day.
Stacey

Jain said...

Heather, the colors and LIFE here just knocked my socks off. Lovely post.

Heather said...

Stacey - Thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting. I'm so glad to keep finding more and more folks out there who are inspired by moss and dandelions - it makes me smile!

Jain - Thank you very much. I'm glad I got these shots when I did, because my crocuses didn't last long.

Creative Cards said...

Love this post Heather....Nature at it's finest.

Heather said...

Crista - Thanks so much. Good to see you out and about in the internet again! Hope you are doing well.