Friday, February 13, 2009

Photos for my friends

My blogging friend Shelley (of Building a Log Cabin, among others) made a post the other day about the collection of bird houses that has sprung up in her log cabin. Here ya go Shelley, another one for your collection!

We got this birdhouse at Sturgeon River Pottery and Wild Bird Supply in Petoskey, MI. We go up to the Petoskey area every summer, and we love to visit this lovely little store. I have my own name for the store, though - I call it the "Whimsicosity Shop," because they have all kinds of great garden and birding accessories, some of which are quite... whimsical. Needless to say, I couldn't resist getting one of this little Michigan birdhouse when we were there last summer. We put it up in one of our flower gardens near the house.

Another "garden accessory" that we got when we there last year was this handsome devil. Dave picked this out. He's in our other flower garden, peeking out from the ferns. Our own yard Heron.

Oh man, I just had to scour through some photos from last August to find the artful heron, and it made my heart ache for something other than snow, cold, and grey skies. I was reminded of the beauty of water droplets on a fern after a lovely summer rain... here, have a look at what I'm talking about...

I know, I know... summer's a long way off... we've got to get to spring first, which is just around the corner... but a girl can dream, right?

3 comments:

Kim said...

I absolutely love that bird house! I wish I could have them in my yard but I get too many house sparrows and would be afraid they would take it over.

Nice scupture of the heron too.

Shelley said...

Heather - that is a pretty birdhouse! And now I want it! LOL!! I need to go shopping more in Petoskey - they do have so many great shops there! And that heron would look great by my lake too. Just box up your stuff and send it here - okay? :-)

KaHolly said...

Sweet birdhouse, but I esp. love the heron!!! I want it for my seaside home! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm now following yours, too! I'm a little slow, but I eventually get there :). Come on up to Nova Scotia and kayak with me!!