Thanks to all of you who participated in my last poll "Why do you bird?" The poll is now closed, and the results are as follows:
- To be/feel closer to nature: 5 votes (55.56%)
- Because it's relaxing: 3 votes (33.33%)
- To spend time alone: 0 votes
- To spend time with family: 0 votes
- To hone my observational skills: 0 votes
- "Other": 1 vote (11.11%) (the explanation of this vote was "to honor them", which I thought was sweet)
I didn't participate in the poll myself, but I will tell you that my own response would have been "All of the above". I listed the answer options in the poll pretty much the way they rank in importance for me. My "Other" explanation would be "to contribute my data to science (i.e. Project Feederwatch)".
This week's poll is another bird-related query: "How many bird feeders do you maintain?" My answer falls in the 6-10 category, with 8 maintained year-round (2 cage suet feeders, 2 tube feeders, 1 hopper feeder, 1 platform feeder, 1 peanut feeder and 1 nyjer tube feeder), and a 9th feeder brought out in spring for the hummers. As always, the poll can be found over in the sidebar, just below the live feedercam. I hope you'll participate!
By the way, stay tuned for information about an interesting and unique birding-by-ear opportunity here in Ohio that will be coming up at the end of May. I'll post more details when I have them.