Monday, April 13, 2009

Give the gift of life

We interrupt the Nature portion of this blog for an important Public Service Announcement:

Give blood - Give the gift of life

I gave blood on Friday, and so did Dave (for the very first time!). I would like to encourage others to consider doing the same, if you are able.

It's a great way to give of yourself. It doesn't cost a dime, only takes a little time, and it gives you a good feeling knowing that you are helping others. And you get free refreshments afterward, like cookies and juice!

Blood is needed every minute of every day. One pint of blood can help save the lives of up to 3 people. More than 38,000 blood donations are needed each day. (See 50 Quick Facts about blood donation for more interesting and helpful information.)

I was inspired to donate blood by my Dad, who is a long-time blood donor. If you're feeling inspired, visit givelife.org to locate a blood drive in your area, or contact your local chapter of the Red Cross. Thank you.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

We sponsor a blood drive at work every year, and I give (but I have to admit that I don't like it one bit, but I know it helps people so I do it anyway).

Heather said...

Kelly - Good for you! You're a trooper!

RuthieJ said...

Way to go Heather and Dave! You're lifesaving heroes!

Heather said...

Ruthie - Awww, thanks!