Monday, April 6, 2009

What's Mama Phoebe up to?

Sorry I haven't posted any Phoebe updates lately. Not much going on right now. She's still incubating, so most of the time she just sits on the nest.

However, we did catch some interesting footage of her yesterday. It's not ALL about sitting on the nest.

For example, I notice that she's always very alert while on the nest and is almost always looking around. What is she looking at, I wonder to myself. I got a good idea yesterday. Watch as she tracks a bug.



And here, a would=be meal flies right past her...



In this one, follow her as she leaves the nest and hovers in toward the window on the trail of a bug.



This one shows an incredibly extended bout of hovering. I was really amazed when I saw this. She looks like an overgrown hummingbird!



Last but not least I'll share with you how she sometimes brings her meal with her and finishes it at the nest.



I hope you enjoyed these little peeks into a day in the life of our incubating mama Phoebe. It will still be a while before any eggs hatch. The Cornell site says incubation time is about 16 days, but it's only been 7 days by my calculations. I'll keep you all posted with any mini-updates over in the sidebar.

10 comments:

Kim said...

Heather, what fantastic videos! I love them all but the one where she is looking at the wasp is my favorite! She is so sweet!

Thanks for sharing them. Today has been a gloomy day between work and rain so this put a nice smile on my face.

Kelly said...

Oh, I loved watching those videos. She is so cute and watching her follow the bugs was cool. She does look like an overgrown hummingbird!! I just got home, and it's snowing! I bet the cool front is on its way over to you...

Ginnymo said...

Awwww! I love these videos!! I can't wait to see more. I've never been able to see a bird's nest so this is a real treat for me!! Thanks!!

Heather said...

Kallen - Yes, she's very sweet indeed. Every time I see her she makes me smile, too. She seems to have that effect on people!

Kelly - I'm glad you liked the vids. It's great to be able to pick up these little "everyday" things she does. It's quite cold here, with some snow flurries. Sounds like once we get past tonight we'll be out of the woods with this cold and snowy stuff!

Ginnymo - Oh I am so glad I can share this experience with you. It will be great fun and very interesting once the eggs hatch and she starts feeding the little ones!

FAB said...

I enjoyed the video captures. Well done Heather & pleased to hear that you may have seen the last of the cold weather.

RuthieJ said...

What fun those videos are Heather! Just wait till those babies hatch -- you won't get anything done at home for watching them all the time!

Shelley said...

Wow!! Fantastic!! Can't wait for the babies!!!

Meg said...

ooh, it's phoebe take-out!
thanks for the floral shots in the previous posts--god, I needed that.

Heidi said...

Excellent captures! That camera is working out very nice :) Just another week or so to go!

Heather said...

Frank - Thank you. We still have some cold nights left to get through (there's a freeze watch up for tonight!), but I'm really hoping the worst is over!

Shelley - Yay, I'm glad you were able to view the videos this time. I can't wait for those babies either. Between my Phoebe babies and Bob the Mourning Dove's babies, we'll have quite the nursery going!

Meg - Isn't dining out the Phoebe's way cool? Glad you liked the flowers!

Red - Yes, the camera is doing a fabulous job. Counting down to hatching time!